ROHAN K. GEORGE
Partner, Samvad Partners
Rohan K. George heads the intellectual property practice of Samvad Partners. He regularly counsels global clients on diverse issues relating to technology law and intellectual property law in India.
- Rohan has advised and assisted his clients in a number of intellectual property and technology-related transactions, including in connection with research and development agreements, joint ventures, licensing agreements, technology transfers, mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, and other strategic collaborations.
- IP Prosecution. Rohan has had extensive experience with IP prosecution, and has coordinated patent specification drafting and filing in the areas of machine learning, industrial technology, medical devices, pharmaceuticals, industrial chemicals, manufacturing systems and processes, integrated software and IT-enabled systems. Rohan has also provided strategic advice on trademark protection and on a regular basis successfully prosecutes trademark applications in India.
- Rohan brings an insider’s knowledge to developing effective legal strategies in intellectual property disputes in India. He regularly appears before various dispute resolution fora (including the High Courts of Chennai, Mumbai and New Delhi, the National Company Law Tribunal, the National Green Tribunal, and the Intellectual Property Appellate Board) for his international and domestic clients.
- Policy. Rohan is an active participant in drafting and consulting on policy documents relating to intellectual property and information technology law. He was the co-chair of the Itechlaw India International Conference, 2018. He has also conducted judicial training programs on patent law in Sri Lanka and Vietnam on behalf of UNCTAD. He currently serves as an independent senior consultant for India and Bangladesh for the international climate change consulting group, Transcarbon.
Some of his representative matters include:
- Providing Indian and international patent prosecution strategy and patent drafting advice for the international industrial chemicals company Sud Chemie;
- Negotiating and drafting an international software license agreement on behalf of Quixey Inc, for embedding their AI software on the devices of a major mobile device manufacturer; and
- Preparing pleadings, providing litigation strategy and assisting with the arguments of Yahoo! Inc before the Intellectual Property Appellate Board in the first software patent litigation in India.
Rohan is a graduate of National Academy of Legal Studies and Research, Hyderabad, which is one of India’s premier institutions for legal studies. He also holds an LLM from Columbia Law School, where he was Lawrence A. Wien Fellow.